Elina joined Aston Business School as a Senior Lecturer in June 2019 from Newcastle University,where she had been a Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour. Elina gained her MSc and PhD from University of Montpellier, France and was an Early Career Marie Curie Fellow at the University of La Sapienza, Italy. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts (RSA).
Elina's research seeks to understand individuals' actions and how these are shaped through subjective experiences in complex organizational and social contexts. Elina is interested in exploring how actors negotiate social structures shaping their lives, creating opportunities, and starting new ventures.
Her work has contributed to debates on diversity and inequalities in organizations and entrepreneurship primarily via qualitative research designs. She is the Co-founder of Gender Issues in Business School Network (GIBS).
Funding Applications and Awards
- 2021-2022 'Academic profession, contingent employment and career pathways during a crisis' , Society of Research in Higher Education.
- 2020-2022 'Cyberdeviance in the digital tech sector: informal rules, relational reflexivity and transformational ends' British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants.
- 2016- 2018 'Career trajectories of female entrepreneurs: Enacting entrepreneurship as relational good' British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants.
- 2014-2015 'Leadership in transition to sustainable business: a study of SMEs in South East England' British Academy of Management – Researcher Development Grant Scheme
She has also received funding to organise research-related activities:
- 2020 'Publishing gender research in management journals', Society of the Advancement of Management Studies
- 2018 'Gender Issues in Business School Network Workshop' Society of the Advancement of Management Studies
- 2017 'In dialogue on Social Entrepreneurship: Opportunities and Challenges' ESRC
I currently supervise PhD students on the follwoing topics:
- Skilled migant women and work-life balance
- Careers of BAME employees in the public sector
- Older entrepreneurs
I would be happy to talk to prospective doctoral students in the areas of gender, precarity and inequalities at work and organisations.
- I sit on the Editorial Board of Work, Employment and Society.
- I have been a guest editor for Organization Studies, and Public Money and Management.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Academy of Management (AOM)
- British Academy of Management (BAM)
- Bristish Sociological Association (BSA)
- European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS)
Elina has taught on a range of programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and has been involved in executive education within the core subject areas of organisation studies. Elina has led initiatives to enhance student experience including a funded project entitled “Introducing gender in management education” which focuses on introducing threshold concepts around gender in the curriculum of the Business School in order to enhance students’ learning and understanding of equality and diversity.
She is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
She is the Module Leader for :
- Organisational Behaviour ( MSc)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Research Methods (DBA)
- 2020- now External Examiner, Brunel Business School
- 2019- 2020 Research Director for the Work and Organisation Department
- 2018-now External Examiner, Keele School of Management
- 2016-2019 Degree Programme Director MSc International Business Management