Having close links with business means that academics can offer practical advice, that’s really valuable to me."
MSc Accounting and Finance
Business School triple accredited by the AACSB, AMBA and Equis.
Ranked in the Top 40 Eduniversal Best Masters 15-16.
MSc Accounting & Finance Fast Facts
- 100 per cent online
- 180 credit hours
- Complete in two years
- 9 modules
- Core modules: 120 credits, Dissertation: 60 credits
- Take one seven-week module at a time: 6 weeks of learning and one week of assessment
- Six intakes per year
- Dissertation/financial reporting project gives you a tangible takeaway to show employers
Aston MSc Accounting & Finance Recognition
- Ranked in the Top 40 Eduniversal Best Masters 2015-16 across the UK and Western Europe
- One of the only UK programmes to include sustainability and corporate governance
- Designed for students of all backgrounds and disciplines to enter the world of accounting and finance
Interested in learning more about the programme? Fill out the form on this page to download a brochure.
Individuals who have a finance, accounting or interrelated subject in their undergraduate studies and want to further their career may want to consider the Master of Science International Accounting & Finance programme.
Accounting & Finance Programme Highlights
The programme welcomes learners from a wide range of disciplines, including students who do not have a business background. This is the perfect opportunity to decide if accounting and business are for you. You will stand out from other job applicants who have not committed to their future career. Students gain an understanding of the roles and function of accounting and finance in a number of business settings, including the for-profit and nonprofit sectors. Students discover their personal and community approaches to business, as well as financial sectors. We take pride that our programme engages equally with technical accounting skills, as well as with increasingly important ethical and sustainability issues.
Start in any term and take one six-week module at a time. Assessments will be presented in a variety of formats, including coursework and examinations. Your studies culminate in the financial research project.
Students join a learning community where they can network with instructors as well as peers. The diversity of Aston’s learning community helps current students and alumni make vital career connections. You’ll study financial accounting and planning, ratio analysis and shareholder value, as well as a variety of skills that make you a desirable candidate to employers.
Skills unique to the Aston MSc Accounting & Finance online programme include:
- Practical application of financial tools — using financial statements for decision making as well as learning how to produce them
- Assessing economic policy and its impact on business functions
- Evaluating and reporting on organisational financial performance
Dissertation/Financial Reporting Project
We ensure that our students can do more much more than simply produce a set of accounts. In line with our ethos of employability we use the project to show that our students take and apply accounting concepts to real world settings. The financial reporting project works toward students preparing a written financial report that could be used within a business setting. In addition, the project integrates academic research with analysis to assess and evaluate a company. Students have four blocks (six months) to complete the project.
The Financial Reporting Project exemplifies Aston’s goal to put theory into practice. This approach allows graduates to go forward with examples of their work and a demonstrable portfolio for employers.
Individuals applying to the online MSc Accounting & Finance programme must have:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class) OR
- An equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University OR
- CIMA – 5 certificate papers + 3 operational level papers (E1 + P1 + F1) OR
- ACCA – foundation level papers (i.e. F1 – F9) OR
- Relevant HND
- Two references, one from an academic referee
- Official academic transcript of your grades to date
- Completed application form
Applicants who have a financial/accounting background may wish to pursue our International Accounting & Finance programme.
International students must meet English language requirements. You may be eligible for an English proficiency waiver, please contact us on +44 808 168 5253 for further information on how you can take advantage of our waiver policy.
The online MSc Accounting & Finance programme provides a number of ways to fund your education. Explore funding options on our Fees and Funding page.
Careers and Outcomes
A number of graduates have gone to work in senior positions/roles at various companies:
- Accountant — EY (China)
- Commodities Analyst — Deutsche Bank (London)
- Regulatory Reporting Analyst — UBS Bank (USA)
- Risk Consultant — KPMG (Russia and CIS)
- Tax Associate — PWC (UK)
To learn more about Aston’s record in employability and student success, call +44 808 168 5253 to talk with an Admissions Adviser today.