Having close links with business means that academics can offer practical advice, that’s really valuable to me."
MSc Accounting and Finance
Business School triple accredited by the AACSB, AMBA and Equis.
Ranked in the Top 40 Eduniversal Best Masters 15-16.
MSc Accounting & Finance Fast Facts
- 100 per cent online
- 180 credit hours
- Complete in two years
- 9 modules
- Core modules: 120 credits, Dissertation: 60 credits
- Take one seven-week module at a time: 6 weeks of learning and one week of assessment
- Six intakes per year
- Dissertation/financial reporting project gives you a tangible takeaway to show employers
Aston MSc Accounting & Finance Recognition
- Ranked in the Top 40 Eduniversal Best Masters 2015-16 across the UK and Western Europe
- One of the only UK programmes to include sustainability and corporate governance
- Designed for students of all backgrounds and disciplines to enter the world of accounting and finance
Interested in learning more about the programme? Fill out the form on this page to download a brochure.
Accounting & Finance Programme Highlights
The programme welcomes learners from a wide range of disciplines, including students who do not have a business background. Students gain an understanding of the roles of accounting and finance in a number of business settings, including the for-profit and nonprofit sectors. Students discover their personal and community approaches to business, as well as financial sectors.
Start in any term and take one six-week module at a time. Assessments will be presented in a variety of formats, including coursework and examinations. Your studies culminate in the financial research project.
Individuals who have a finance, accounting or interrelated subject in their undergraduate studies and want to shift their career may want to consider the Master of Science International Accounting & Finance programme.
Students join a learning community where they can network with instructors as well as peers. The diversity of Aston’s learning community helps current students and alumni make vital career connections. You’ll study financial planning, ratio analysis and shareholding, as well as a variety of skills that make you a desirable candidate to employers.
Skills unique to the Aston MSc Accounting & Finance online programme include:
- Practical application of financial tools — balance sheets, profit and loss accounts, cash flow statements
- Assessing economic policy
- Evaluating and reporting on organisational financial performance
Dissertation/Financial Reporting Project
Students take and apply concepts, as well as training, to an organisation’s financial performance. The financial reporting project works toward students preparing a written financial report that could be used within a business setting. In addition, the project integrates research with analysis to assess and evaluate a company. Students have four blocks (six months) to complete the project.
The Financial Reporting Project exemplifies Aston’s goal to put theory into practice. This approach allows graduates to go forward with examples of their work and a demonstrable portfolio for employers.
Individuals applying to the online MSc Accounting & Finance programme must have:
- A good UK honours degree (minimum lower second class) OR
- An equivalent overseas degree recognised by Aston University
- CIMA – 5 certificate papers + 3 operational level papers (E1 + P1 + F1)
- ACCA – foundation level papers (i.e. F1 – F9)
- Relevant HND
- Two references, one from an academic referee
- Official academic transcript of your grades to date
- Completed application form
With any equivalent qualification, excluding a UK honours degree, you will also require three years’ relevant work-based business experience.
Applicants who have a financial/accounting background may wish to pursue our International Accounting & Finance programme.International Students
International students must meet English language requirements, as well as have an official English-language transcript.Exempt Individuals
Graduates with two years of study from a UK university and who have achieved a 2:2 within the last two years may meet the English language requirements. Graduates with one year in the UK and a 2:1 may also be within the English language requirements. Domicile in a majority English-speaking country for two years prior may also meet the English language requirement.English Language Requirements
- TOEFL: 93 for postgraduate programmes
- IELTS: 6.0 Academic Test — standard or from a UKVI test centre
- Pearson: 63 Academic Test of English
Applicants can view score requirements here.
The online MSc Accounting & Finance programme provides a number of ways to fund your education. Explore funding options on our Fees and Funding page.
Careers and Outcomes
A number of graduates have gone to work in senior positions/roles at various companies:
- Accountant — EY (China)
- Commodities Analyst — Deutsche Bank (London)
- Regulatory Reporting Analyst — UBS Bank (USA)
- Risk Consultant — KPMG (Russia and CIS)
- Tax Associate — PWC (UK)
To learn more about Aston’s record in employability and student success, call +44 808 168 5253 to talk with an Admissions Adviser today.